Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Honeymoon Phases and Ready lines.

Hello,

I'm Chad Ownby, I am a recent graduate from Longwood University. Last fall, I completed my student teaching experience for theatre education . And what an experience it was. I kept thinking throughout the entire placement that it would be an awesome sitcom. I figured this blog would be a good place to share the experience I had with fellow teachers, aspiring teachers, or anyone interested.



  The First Day: "I am tired, but excited". This is my first thought as I sprang out of bed at 6 AM that August Morning. Not to long after that I have the thought "Man I hate dressing up". Yep, I picked the right line of work. When I arrived at the school around 7:00 I just assumed I knew what to expect. I had two practicums under my belt and have been involved in educational theatre for eight years. How different could this be?  When I walk into the room, My cooperating teacher hands me an agenda and with a smile on his face introduces himself. He then asks me "Are you just observational for a bit?" I was since the first week or so is supposed to be spent observing. However the question got me thinking. What if it wasn't? What if I was supposed to start right away? Even when I do start will I be ready? because right now, I sure as hell don't feel ready. Far from it. If there is a line with the word "ready" written on it, all the way on the other side of the line there would be a picture of me smiling nervously.
       The first day of classes were pretty much what you would expect. The students would come in, exchange pleasantries, go over house keeping stuff, and then maybe play a game. I sat in a chair near the teacher and I felt like I was on display at a zoo. I was 22 so I kind of looked like the students only slightly older and in a suit an tie. I think this perplexed many of the students so they stared. Or at least it felt like they stared. It most likely would have been easier If I introduced myself, but I just waited for the teacher to do it. Another thing I noticed is that there was an overall vibe on positivity in every class. The kids seemed genuinely happy to be there. In fact, when my teacher introduced me to everyone in the school, everyone seemed to be in a good mood, all the time. It was odd. Not necessarily bad, but strange. Later on, I heard one of the other teacher's say "well while the honeymoon phase lasts". I guess it was just a beginning of the year thing. Over the next several months, the good mood was there, but in a much more realistic way.
 I later found out that day that my teacher was also in charge of the school beautification project, which involved ensuring that the gardens and pavilions were well managed. "you have to make yourself valuable to the school" he explained to me. This is just one example of the many hats teachers wear.
During lunch time, We went and ate with two of the other arts teachers, and one of the PE teachers.  I discovered very quickly that teachers, like most people, also break off into social groups. Over the next few months I learned that lunch time is one of the most valuable times of the day. As a teacher, you are always and I mean always on. You are constantly performing and functioning in some type of role or another. Lunch time allows you to catch a breath and just be you for  a while. It also allows for venting, joking, fun stories and for me, the opportunity to pick the brain's of my fellow teachers. It was always interesting to say the least. The teachers are half way expecting stories from our lunch time to end up in a book someday.
 After school we had a faculty meeting. This was a first for me. We sat with the same teachers, while the administration gave the same welcome back speech that I am sure they gave every year. Most of the teacher's zoned out on their computers since they had heard it all before. Before the meeting started, My cooperating teacher stood up and introduced me to the entire faculty as they clapped. (you know us theatre people love our applause) Like with the student's before, I once again felt on display. This time however it was different. I looked around and saw all of the teachers and I felt like this is something I could do. I didn't feel like a student. I felt like a peer. After four years of college, and two practicums, and countless lectures on educational theory, it was my turn to start putting theory into practice, or at least attempt to.



2 comments:

  1. Dear Chad,

    Welcome to The Academy.

    Love,
    Becki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:) If it was not for you it would have never happened.

    ReplyDelete